Descriptive Title: Gross per capita water use
Geographic Unit of Analysis: County
|Table 1: Residential water consumption by zip code (FY2013-2014)|
|Zip code||Total Annual Residential Consumption (CCF)||ACS 2009-2013 population||Average Daily Residential Consumption (gpd)||Average Per Capita Residential Consumption (gpcd)|
Maintaining an adequate water supply is a basic necessity for health of individuals and communities. Sufficient water resources affect human health both directly and indirectly. Every person requires about 2 liters of clean drinking water each day. Water is also needed for many everyday activities, including personal hygiene (i.e. showers, sewage removal), dish washing, and laundry. Water resources are necessary for the success of agriculture and industry (e.g. irrigation, food processing, cooling, and mining). Water resources also affect the health of fisheries, indirectly affecting nutrition and the livelihood of those in the fishing industry. Lastly, adequate water resources are necessary for human recreational activities at lake and rivers.
Processing potable water is energy intensive and thus contributes to air emissions associated with fossil fuel energy combustion. Water conservation efforts, control of water pollution, and restricted use of potable water can all play a part in ensuring a safe and sufficient water supply.
Currently, San Francisco's gross water use is approximately 64.7 million gallons per day (mgd), or 83.4 gallons daily per capita. Approximately 63% of this total is delivered to San Francisco residential customers. The gross per capital water use has slowly declined over the since the early 2000’s; this is primarily due to water efficiency in plumbing.
When examined by zip code, the zip codes with the highest per capita daily residential water consumption include 94102, 94127, 94103, and 94115 – comprising the Tenderloin, Pacific Heights, South of Market, and West of Twin Peaks neighborhoods. The zip codes with the lowest daily per capita consumption include 94110 and 94112, which make up the Mission, Outer Mission, Excelsior, and Oceanview/Merced/Ingleside neighborhoods.
According to the 2010 Urban Water Management Plan, "Single-family units comprise approximately 32 percent of the total households in San Francisco, and use approximately 40 percent of the total water delivered to the residential sector. The remainder of residential water use (60 percent) occurs from multi-family units such as apartments. Due to the moderate climate and the high density housing in San Francisco, water use within the residential sector is used almost entirely indoors. For multi-family units, the average outdoor water use is considered negligible. For single-family residential units, the average, outdoor water use is less than ten percent of single-family residential uses, on average."a
Fiscal year 2013-2014 data was obtained by from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission for residential use by zip code and total in-City retail sales. Daily per capita use at the zip code level was derived by dividing the average daily residential consumption (gallons per day) by the estimated population in each census defined Zip Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA). Because ZCTAs do not perfectly align with true zip codes, population estimates may be inaccurate. Total per capita daily consumption for San Francisco was calculated using population estimates from the California Department of Finance, in order to be consistent with statewide reporting protocol.
Certain zip codes do not have accurate per capita consumption information and have been omitted from the data.
Water Use data was obtained from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and is presented by SFPUC Fiscal Year (July - June) for 2013-2014. Population estimates are from US Census Bureau.
Map and tables prepared by City and County of San Francisco, Department of Public Health, Environmental Health Section using ArcGIS software.
Map and table data is presented for the county. Detailed information regarding census data, geographic units of analysis, their definitions, and their boundaries can be found in the Indicator Prject at the following links:
Urban Water Management Plan, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. 2010. http://www.sfwater.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=1055